Week 12 Story: Heartbreaking Lie

Leslie had brought her new boyfriend, James, to meet her family during their usual Sunday lunch at her parent’s house. In hopes of getting her brother and boyfriend to bond, she casually mentioned that they could work together on a project her mom needed done. Soon enough, both Matthew and James went outside to the backyard. Once they were out of earshot, Matthew spoke up.
“If you break my sister’s heart, I promise that I will hunt you down.” 
James was not really threatened by Matthew’s comment but he knew that this was a common theme when starting a relationship.
“I swear that I will never hurt her,” responded James.
Matthew stared at James, trying to see if there were any signs he should worry about. When he saw nothing, he let out a small breath and playfully slapped James’ shoulder.
“Okay man, now let’s get to work,” said Matthew. “The garden has been overrun by weeds at this point.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Months had passed from that fateful day, and the relationship looked to be going alright. Which is why Matthew was shocked to the core when the police arrived at his home and informed him of what had occurred. They had found Leslie dead in her apartment, with multiple stab wounds to the chest and surrounded in a pool of her own blood. The murder weapon was not at the scene, but the evidence pointed towards a penknife. 
Matthew didn’t know how to react, he had just lost his only sister. His mind went numb. He was then asked questions by the police  about his sister and any possible suspects.
It didn’t take long for James to become the prime suspect of the murder, especially after he had become impossible to get a hold of. It made him a suspicious character in the eyes of the law. Soon enough the search for James began.
True to his word, unlike others, Matthew joined on the hunt for James. He was going to fulfill his promise to his sister, he would avenge her heart even now when it’s all bled out and broken.

(Source: Flickr)

Author's Note: Honestly, when I decided to read the unit of Nursery Rhymes, I did not expect that I was going to write a story about murder. In the original story it starts with a man not going through with his words and comparing it to other things like a garden full of weeds, etc. The story ends talking about a penknife in the heart, bleeding out and dying. When I first read this I decided I wanted to keep the overlying theme of this story, I just decided to modernize and put the words into action. I decided to incorporate some of the aspects of the original, such as the garden full of weeds and the penknife in the heart. I added the character of the brother to provide an outsider's perspective while still maintaining an emotional connection with the main characters.

Bibliography:
"Proverbs" from The Nursery Rhyme Book edited by Andrew Lang and illustrated by L. Leslie Brooke (1897). Web Source.

Comments

  1. Hi Dora,
    Nursery rhymes do tend to be more violent than I expect. I enjoyed your story, particularly how you set up the garden scene and Matthew's character. It might be nice to get more of a glimpse into Leslie and Matthew's relationship by having them together in a scene. At the end I wanted something more to happen, as it left me wondering what would happen in Matthew found James. He seems like a nice guy, would he kill James out of revenge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dora, wow what a dramatic tale! I truly had no idea what to expect in the end, but the murder was really intense. I would have never guessed that your inspiration was nursery rhymes, but it is interesting because after reading your author's note, you had a really creative way to take this story and make it your own. I also really liked the modernization because its much more relatable and very easy to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dora, I also read the Nursery Rhymes unit! Your story was definitely suspenseful, but I was hoping that it would be longer. As James was just a suspect, I thought that the story would continue on with Matthew on the hunt until they found James. I thought perhaps it would end up that James actually didn't kill Leslie. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dora,
    I had not read the Nursery Rhymes unit but from what I have gathered in this class most of the kid story tales usually involve death. I think it is a little funny how when the tales were originally made it was normal to have a character die to teach a lesson to children. Children tales now try to stay away from death. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts