Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part B

I enjoyed reading this part as well and I came up with a few ideas for some of the stories.
The first story, The Witch Girl, I found it to be really interesting. I would most likely want to further explore Death as a character and as the process of the deaths. The story would take place in a similar setting but the overall story line would be different.
The second story, The Warlock, has an intriguing concept that I would have liked to further explore. These stories contained a number of deaths and a number of corpses. With this story specifically, I would want to focus a bit on the sons. They were very minor characters and for two their wives were killed but nothing else was ever said.
The third story, The Fiddler in Hell had a great ending. I would like to make parts of the story a but more comedic. The idea of someone accidentally stumbling into hell and entertaining the torturers just seems like it should be told in a laughing manner. I liked the concept of the never ending money affecting the moujik and I would most likely keep that in the retelling.
The fourth story, The Two Friends, was the most interesting one. It starts off as a nice story about friendship and it leads to a form of time travel. And it ends with an explanation of what happened. I really liked this story and I would like to modernize the setting. I enjoyed the plot and would most likely keep it the same and only change a few details. I'm still not sure if I want the retelling to ending off on a happy or sad note.
These ideas are still somewhat a work in progress but overall, I enjoyed reading this unit.

(Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography:
Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston, link to reading online.

Comments

Popular Posts