Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part A

This week for the European unit, I decided to read the Russian folktales. I enjoyed reading them and I found them incredibly interesting.
The first story, The Dead Mother, was surprising. I'm not sure what I expected after reading the title but it was not even close to what the story actually was. I really liked this story and if I was to rewrite this tale, I would keep the tragedy. I would also maybe focus on the husband a little more.
I also enjoyed the following story, The Treasure. I would definitely keep the aspects of the pope's greed and the old man's poverty but maybe place it in a modern setting. I like the moral of this story and I found it to be fitting to this day. I'm not sure how to incorporate all the details but I would like to just change the setting and keep the plot.
The story of The Bad Wife in this unit of Russian folktales has a similar plot to The Imp of the Well in the Turkish fairy tales unit.
The third story that I have an idea for is The Léshy. I really liked the plot of the story and I would like to modernize but still keep some of its context. I like the idea of it ending on a somewhat romantic note. I also like the temporary amnesia aspect and I would definitely keep that in my retelling. I enjoyed read this story and the others aw well.
(Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography:
Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston, link to reading online.

Comments

Popular Posts