Reading Notes: Andersen Fairy Tales, Part B

I mostly chose this unit because I was excited to read a different version of a tale that I had only seen through Disney. That is the only story to make up the second part of this unit.
The story of The Little Mermaid, up until the final section, shares similarities with the Disney film. In this tale, there ware way more details and descriptions, plus an ending that doesn't end in romance for the mermaid. I really enjoyed reading this story, more than seeing the movie actually. I liked how the family was there for her the entire time and how they fought and tried to give her a life back. Another aspect that I enjoyed was the sea witch, she seemed like a really interesting character that if I was to write a story based off of this tale, I'd probably focus on her. I maybe would also tell the story from the Prince's perspective. Something I found funny was the use of 'my dumb child', it made sense in the context but outside it seems humorous. Another possibility for the retelling would be if the mermaid had gone through with the murder or just a modern telling of the tale. Overall, I thoroughly liked reading this tale, especially because there was a happy ending for the mermaid and the prince without them getting together.
(Source: Flickr)


Bibliography:
Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, link to reading online.

Comments

Popular Posts