Reading Notes: Stories from Congo, Part B

While Part A reading shared the aspect of marriages being an important aspect, this portion is more about greed but with animals. Although most of the stories shared the aspect of greed, they all achieved it in different and enjoyable ways.
The first story that I chose was The Turtle and the Man, it was interesting to see how the turtle would be greedy with the meat. And in the end, it cost him his life. I feel as though this story could be retold in a more modern setting and maybe be a bit more comedic. I enjoyed the ending where the man was like, "Okay, that's cool. You can keep eating the turtle's food." I would like to focus a little bit on that if I was to retell this tale.
The second story was that of The Leopard and The Crocodile, it was definitely enjoyable. I would like to emphasize the interaction between the leopard and the crocodile, as they were trying to figure out the dog situation. These characters could be humanized and placed in a modern context with a bit of comic relief.
The third story is the one of The Three Brothers, with this story I would want to take a whole new approach in the creative writing. I have an idea that would place this story in modern context, but in a format that I haven't attempted yet. I enjoyed the idea of these kids growing up happily and in the end reunited with their mother. That is something I would like to keep in the retelling, maybe approach it differently.
(Source: Flickr)

Bibliography:
Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort by Richard Edward Dennett, link to reading online.

Comments

Popular Posts